Sunday, March 20, 2011

"To me you are perfect"- Love Actually


Alright, so I know I'm a little late on this one, but seeing as schoolwork left me too busy to see any new releases yet again, I chose a movie that I only saw for the first time very recently. I've been hearing about this movie for years, and for some reason have never had the opportunity to actually sit down and watch it. After mistakenly admitting I had never seen it, and being chastised by my friend Greg , I decided to finally give in and watch it. For the few who have yet to see it, the movie is a series of separate but intertwined stories of various people and their blooming, or fledgling, love lives.

It seems only fair to warn that I am a bit of a romantic. Movies that are obviously terrible, with poor writing and character development, have repeatedly reduced me to tears as long as there is some element of romance involved. However, I don't think many would argue with me that "Love Actually" is not an example of this. The majority of the stories are touching, well written and humorous. Whether it is the Prime Minister of England, played by Hugh Grant, struggling with his feelings for one of his staff, or Emma Thompsons' character struggling with her husband's potential affair, each story evokes some kind of emotional response. And who could ever forget the infamous cue card scene which is undoubtedly one of the best and most romantic scenes from any movie? (in case you have I will remind you).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m2T5yfgsZ0

Perhaps the best thing about about this movie is that it is realistic in the way that it approaches and presents the subject of love to its audience. Not every story ends in happily-ever-after, and nor should it. In 2003, when the movie was released, Statistics Canada showed that almost 16% of people going through a divorce had already had a least one divorce under their belt. Obviously, not everyone stays together and this theme is reiterated in the film making it realistic and relate-able.

Perhaps the only gripe I had with the movie is that there were a few unnecessary story-lines. Colin Firth's love affair with his Portuguese housekeeper doesn't seem to fit the rest of the movie. I just don't buy that he falls in love with her in three weeks without ever having a proper conversation with her (she doesn't speak English).  The scene's featuring the nude stand-ins also seem out of place, and honestly, just made me feel uncomfortable.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this movie. Women will love the heart wrenching story-lines, and even men will be entertained by the scenes featuring a young Brit attempting to find love in America, if not by the rest of the film.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you did finally see this movie (and that you enjoyed it). My only gripe is that you didn't like the Colin Firth storyline. The theme of the movie is stated as "love, actually, is all around us" (as stated in Billy Mack's song and by Hugh Grant towards the end). Of course this particular storyline is missing some depth, but I think that's a result of the movie's structure. That being said, I didn't find it unbelievable, or even unlikely. I found it to be quite sweet, and reaffirmed the movie's theme well.

    "Love at first sight" is a cliche. That being said, I think it's obvious there is an attraction between Jamie and Aurelia, which is vital to any burgeoning relationship. From that starting point, the mystical power of love takes over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie is one of my guilty pleasures. I watch it around Chirstmas every year.

    I can understand being uncomfortable during the nude scenes, but I think it makes a good comic break in the films story line.

    My problem with this movie is Mr. Bean. I feel he should have either had a larger role in the film or none at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to see this movie, but never actually watch it because I am too scared that by the end of it I will be hating life (haha). It took me three years to watch "The Notebook". I will give this one a shot! Thanks Courtney

    ReplyDelete